This seems like a bit of an obvious requirement for someone who likes a bit of sewing and yet it’s something I simply haven’t got round to making. I think the last time I made one was in Home Economics at school some….ooh, too many years to count….ago.
I finally became fed up of scratching around in those plastic casings that needles come in (or worse, losing them in the pin cushion and never to be seen again but often ‘felt’. Ouch!)
So I finally got round to it and here’s my little needle case.
It’s very simple. Just a piece of scrap fabric or two, a few bits of quilting wadding, a couple of bits of cardboard and a recycled ribbon of unknown origin.
I found the centre point of he fabric and marked out where the spine and needle pad need to be positioned.
Highly technical stuff this!
I then cut out the large oblong where the needle pad needed to poke through leaving probably quarter of an inch allowance and cutting diagonally into the corners so I could fold it back on itself as a kind of hem. I then sewed round the outside of the case, leaving a gap sufficiently big to turn it inside-out and to get the wadding in.
I pushed some wadding into one side and then packed a couple of bit of wadding on top of the cardboard backing for the needle pad and slotted it in the gap I’d made for it and tucked the raw edges of the hole underneath. In truth, it could probably have done with a little more so I could have used it as a pin cushion too but hey ho. I did the same for the spine. and tacked everything in place so it wouldn’t move when I stitched it up.
Then I decided to do a quick bit of free-motion quilting swirls on the other side for a bit of interest.
If you haven’t tried that yet, give it a go – it’s great fun.
Then it was just a case of sewing up the gap…
and sewing on a piece of ribbon (rather coarsely) to tie it together.
Any that was it – done. Now everything’s neat and tidy which inspired me to sort out my notions box too.